Mar 8, 2011

A Realization?

After a class assignment in JRN 115 that required us to schedule an interview with a professional journalist, it’s safe to say that I feel more comfortable in my major. I had the honor of interviewing Ryan Vella, an associate producer for CBC News in Canada. I got lucky finding Ryan, because he is the cousin of a teammate of mine. If life and success it isn’t all about connections, I am finding that it is at least a little about connections. I left the interview with not only a positive attitude about journalism, but also an idea of where I want to  take my blog. The idea was staring me in the face the whole time, I guess I just needed someone to say it out loud. 
One of the first questions I asked Ryan was what he liked the best about being a journalist. Ryan claimed that every day in journalism was different. “For someone like me, who loathes monotony, I like that I never know what’s going to happen on a given day.” Didn’t I say something like that? Yeah, remember. I’m that girl who can’t stand when her bedroom walls are the same color for too long. If I’m stuck in a fixed schedule of monotony, things just start blending together. I love the spontaneity of life, I can’t see myself in a job that will end up feeling like I’m stuck in a re-run of a bad television show, day after day. 
Ryan went on to declare that “Even on days that aren’t that eventful, I still get to learn something new everyday...by covering so many stories and topics in a given day, we have to be mini-experts on anything and everything. Variety is indeed the spice of life.” With that line, I knew exactly where my blog was headed. I am going to start my journalism career early by becoming a mini-expert on, just as Ryan says, anything and everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment